Water Pump Service
at Right Way Auto Repair in Hamilton, ON
A water pump is one of those parts that, when failing, needs to be replaced immediately. The water pump's role is to ensure the coolant keeps moving through the engine block, hoses and radiator and maintains an optimum operating temperature. Without it, your car would overheat and you would be left shopping around for a new engine.
Reasons Your Water Pump Fails:
- A worn-out seal starts leaking coolant.
- A worn-out or damaged bearing prevents your pump from properly rotating.
- Old, contaminated coolant, deposit buildup and rust destroy your water pump.
- An old gasket gives in and leaks.
What You Should Know About Bad Water Pump Signs
A water pump will give you warning signs of wearing out. Since these signs share symptoms with other bad components in your vehicle, you need to properly diagnose and confirm the failure of your pump:
- Coolant leak: A worn-out hose, gasket or radiator may also leak coolant. However, the water pump leak, green or sometimes red, will usually show up under the center of your car.
- Engine overheating: A stuck thermostat or clogged radiator could also cause your engine to overheat.
- A whining, high-pitched sound, sometimes a grinding noise, from the front of your engine: Such noise can be created by a bad accessory pulley or a slipping or misaligned belt.
Tips to Increase Water Pump Service Life
Premature failure of a water pump can be avoided by following some simple guidelines:
- Replace old, worn-out coolant at the recommended car manufacturer service interval.
- Fix engine overheating problems as soon as possible, as it will damage the seal and impeller inside the water pump.
- When replacing a water pump run by a timing belt, always replace the timing belt at the same time, especially if the water pump is leaking. A coolant-contaminated timing belt has a reduced service life. Furthermore, a worn-out timing belt may break and damage your new water pump. In most models, the water pump and timing belt have about the same service life period (95,000 km or more), so you'll save time and money by doing both at the same time.
The water pump is the heart of the cooling system. It is the reason your engine stays cool and the cooling system works well. Therefore, if you notice any of the warning signs, bring your vehicle in for an inspection or replacement of the water pump before additional engine components are damaged. Certified technicians of Right Way Auto Repair will get your car back onto the roads without delay. Please feel free to contact us online or call us at (905) 381-9285.