Drive Clean Test & Repairs at Right Way Auto Repair in Hamilton, ON
Right Way Auto Repair is an Accredited Drive Clean Test and Repair facility for the Ontario Drive Clean Emissions Program.
As of April 1, 2017, an initial Drive Clean emissions test to renew the registration for light-duty vehicles is free. It's important to remember that vehicles that are seven years and older must pass an emissions test before the registration and license plates can be renewed. If the vehicle fails the first emissions test, you will have to pay for the subsequent test and any repairs that may be needed to comply with the emission standards of the province. Test fees, free or not, will appear on the Vehicle Inspection Report to inform you and the facility staff to eliminate uncertainty and disputes.
The Ministry has also implemented the following changes:
- It has removed the requirement for emissions testing when selling a light-duty vehicle. Resale vehicles no longer require an emissions test when transferring ownership or sold within Ontario or brought in from other provinces or countries. Therefore, we recommend you, as a buyer, to ask the owner to perform a Drive Clean emissions test and provide the results before you buy the vehicle.
- Fees associated with assessing the vehicle's repair problems (diagnostic) and fees associated with monitoring setting are no longer counted towards the Repair Cost Limit. Only direct repair costs are included in the Repair Cost Limit. The Repair Cost limit, which is currently $460, will be adjusted annually based on the Ontario Consumer Price Index. Diagnostic and monitor setting are still mandatory, and the automotive technician is required to perform diagnostic testing on failed vehicles.
- Consecutive conditional passes have also been eliminated. If a conditional pass is issued on or after April 1, 2017, a full pass is required at the next testing cycle. This means that if a vehicle receives a conditional pass, the vehicle needs to be fully repaired and receive a full pass upon the next registration renewal in two years. The vehicle owners will have two years to save for the necessary repairs.
The Ministry required Right Way Auto Repair staff to be retrained and certified. If they commit fraud, the inspectors will be decertified. Only staff who have taken the recertification may explain the new rules to customers.
What You Need To Know:
- Prior to the test, you can check online if your vehicle is eligible for a free test.
- Customers must authorize the work order prior to the test or repairs as per the Consumer Protection Act.
- You can renew your license plate sticker online. Use your Drive Clean Inspection Report for that.
- Before you go for a Drive Clean re-test, you should visit a Drive Clean facility that can perform Drive Clean repairs to get a diagnostic test to determine why your vehicle didn't meet emissions standards and get a written repair estimate based on the results of the diagnostic test.
Keeping your vehicle well maintained according to the manufacturer's recommended service schedules can help you avoid costly repairs and reduce pollution in our environment. If your "Check Engine" lights come on, have your vehicle examined by our qualified repair technician as soon as possible. Please contact us online or call us at (905) 381-9285.